Bereavement is the period of grief and mourning after a death. When you grieve, it's part of the normal process of reacting to a loss. You may experience grief as a mental, physical, social or emotional reaction. Mental reactions can include anger, guilt, anxiety, sadness and despair. Physical reactions can include sleeping problems, changes in appetite, physical problems or illness.
How long bereavement lasts can depend on how close you were to the person who died, if the person's death was expected and other factors. Friends, family and faith may be sources of support. Grief counseling or grief therapy is also helpful to some people.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- Symptoms of Major Depression and Complicated Grief (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Bereaved Employee: Returning to Work (American Hospice Foundation)
- Complicated Grief (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- COVID-19: Grief and Loss (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- End of Life: Suicide Grief (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Grief: Coping with Reminders after a Loss (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Grieving the Loss of a Sibling (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Helping a Grieving Parent (American Hospice Foundation)
- Mourning the Death of a Spouse (National Institute on Aging) Also in Spanish
- Pregnancy Loss: How to Cope (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Understanding Grief within a Cultural Context (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Writing a Condolence Note (American Hospice Foundation)
- You Know You Are Getting Better When... (American Hospice Foundation)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Mourning from Covid-19 and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. New therapeutic tools...
- Article: "It's a Bit of a Double-Edged Sword": Motivation and Personal Impact...
- Article: Grief Reactions and Grief Counseling among Bereaved Chinese Individuals during COVID-19...
- Bereavement -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Grief and Loss as Alzheimer's Progresses (Alzheimer's Association)